Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sawdust Chronicles Challenge 2010 Part11

Done...  I put the last coat of finish on the table early this morning, and it is dry enough tonight to bring into the house.  As a whole, it has some things that I would probably change a little if I had to do it again.  But for what it is, I think it is pretty good.  It is certainly good enough for what we will use it for.

Here are a few shots of the table in our house.  Where the pictures were taken is about 3' from where it will live, but it is a decent spot for taking photographs.
James looking at the finished product.  The oak top from Ikea sanded out, and finished well.


The top looks really thin in this photograph, but it is actually 1 1/2" thick.


A better view of the table in its now natural environment.


My oldest son Jonathan was talking to me about how to set up a chessboard.  After all this is a game table.




An end view of the table.


Here is the first game of chess at the table.  Hopefully there will be many more of these, and some checkers too.  :)

As per the rules, here is the breakdown for materials I have in this table.
  • Cherry Lumber $1.15 / bf.  I messed up one board, so I probably used 10.5 bf in the base.  So I have $12 in the base.
  • The top from Ikea was originally $80 when I bought it for the bathroom vanity. The remnant I used was about half the original size so about $40.
  • I used a little seal-a-cell on the cherry base. So $2 is sealer.
  • I used general finishes Satin Arm-R-Seal Oil and Urethane all over the table.  3 coats on the bottom, 5 on the top.  I figure about a cup or so.  $7
  • Sandpaper.  $5
  • Remnant of a walnut dowel.  $1
  • 8 brass screws, 8 steel screws, and 2 sacrificial metal brackets, and a little glue... $???
So my cost in materials for this table is around $66 - $70.  Not bad for something that should last us a long time.  Besides, the only thing I had to buy during this whole project was 220 grit sandpaper, cause I ran out. Other than that, all the materials were laying around the shop.

The final dimensions of the table are 28.5" tall, 26" wide, and 30.5" long.  I bet I could make it fit into Neal's box.  (Edit:  after looking at the rules again.  I am well withing the size limit. :))

Thanks to Rick for putting on the Sawdust Chronicles Challenge this year. It has been a lot of fun, and I picked up several new skills along the way. I also got a chance to use some of the tools that my wife has been buying me over the years.

No comments: