Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sawdust Chronicles Challenge 2010 Part10 (I can see the finish)

I missed putting a lot of steps on this blog, but it has been a bit crazy here.  (5 boys and all that)  But today, I finished assembling the base of the table, drilled 2 holes in the base for guide pins, and 2 matching holes in the table top.  Then I manufactured some clips to hold the top on, to allow for expansion and contraction.

We have had some L brackets lying around for years.  Well, now we have 2 less.


After I filed down the sharp edges, I made a notch for each, that would allow 30 degrees of movement or so.  Probably way too much , but I rather do that, then see which is stronger.  The Oak top, of the Cherry rails.  Either way, I would lose.




Check out the cool joint that you will never see, unless you pull the top off the table.

That is a product of making the tenons like this.


To make the mortises, I drilled them out at the drill press, then finished them with chisel work.  Not bad for something that won't see.

Now for the only bad news today.  I messed up when I measured the top, and now I have to fess up for the sake of the sawdust chronicles challenge.

This board is 1/2" longer than the rules allow.  If I were to cut it again now, I would have to completely redo the 5" wide bevels.  It aint gonna happen, I my score will just have to take a ding.  Course if I don't show anyone, no one would ever know.  Shhhhh
(Edit:  Never mind.  I looked at the rules again, and it allows up to 32".  I am good to go.  No bad news here.)

In 2-3 hours, I should be back out in the shop sanding down the seal-a-cell I put on the base, and starting the coats of poly. 

One last thing.  I had lots of help in the shop this morning.  At one time 4 of the 5 boys were out there with me.  James stayed out there most of the morning, sanding on a scrap of wood, and Joseph floated in and out.
James

James and Joseph testing out the strength of my vacuum hose.

No comments: