Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sawdust Chronicles Challenge 2010 Part 12 (Not that table)

Amber and I just moved the table to it's home in our house, and I want to take this opportunity to do a really quick summary of how this table's form came to be.  When Amber and I first talked about making a table for this challenge.  She clearly defined a table to me.  As it turned out, she was sitting at the very table she was describing.


Well I while the table I created shares some elements with the table described, it is missing some key features.  1.  It does not have a drawer.  That got tossed out early in the design process.  1, because I was doing two projects at once, and 2 because I was doing 2 projects at once, and would like to finish them both within a reasonable time.  Did I mention that I was doing to projects at once??

Well from that discussion, I came up with this design.
This is not a bad design.  But it was still too much like table #1 up there, and I wanted to stretch a little more.  So I came up with this design.

For the most part, this is the table I made.  After printing full-scale drawings, and making some of the stretchers and rails I refined some of the curves, and dimensions.  I also decided to soften the edges of the rails, while leaving the legs with a hard edge.  Mainly I did this for the shadows that it casts, but it also feels better on the legs if you bump into the rails.  The other change during construction was the rounding of the tops of the legs.
While it is hard to see in this picture, the legs are not chamfered at a 45.  That is how the cut started.  I rounded the bottom edge with a chair rasp to ease the line.

The legs where then tapered by 1 degree from the bottom of the mortise to the bottom of the leg.  In the photographs it makes little difference, but when viewing the table, it helps to continue the curve from the rail to the floor.

All that aside, I am happy with how it turned out.  Here is the table in it's new home, while it is not being used as a game table.


(My wife added the coaster feet... It should help to move the table around.  It really is heavier than it looks with that oak top.)

No comments: