Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sawdust Chronicles Challenge 2010 Part 7.5 (Shop Update)

Yesterday I promised to post pictures.  Well today I will post a couple about what I did.  First thing in the morning I made 2 Nostepinnes.  I told my wife that I would make 2 for every 1 that sold on Etsy.  Well I am about 8 behind.  So I made 2 yesterday.  I think they turned out pretty well.



The first was made from some scrap Sapelle left over from the crib.  The second is some purple heart that came from a wood pallet.  I pulled a 30" x 2.5" x 2.5" piece of purple heart out of the dumpster.  This example has some sapwood in it.  If you look close you can see it at the small end and it runs half way down the handle.

The second part of my day, and the longest part, was cutting the bevels for the table top.  The end bevels are 5" wide, and the bevels running the length are 4 " wide.  Unfortunately I do not have a power tool to do this.  So I did the starting cut on using the bench as a support, with a guide, and made the first cuts with a cicular saw.  Then I broke out the handsaw, and sat down on the bench, and comenced to sawing.  The cross cuts where rough, but the rips were easy.



I still have some clean up to do to get rid of the saw marks, and make the bevel a little straighter, but I think it will look really cool once it is sitting on it's base.

No comments: