Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Return to wood working

It has been awhile....

Recently I rediscovered all my wood working tools buried in my shop and started adjusting them and putting them back into service.  While some tools never stopped being used, like my chop saw and drill press.  Others have quietly awaited my return.  Others, such as my jointer and lathe, are still awaiting them first use in many, many years.

I have not stopped making.  But the gleam and shine of 3D printing caught my eye.  I have played with Raspberry PIs.  Even had a fling with Arduinos and Bluetooth devices.  But it all came back to me when I found a hobby CNC machine.

Someplace that I can take my CAD background and marry it to complex shapes in wood, metal and plastic.  Learn the hard truth that sharp outside corners are easy, while you are restricted to the radius of your end mill for inside jobs.

It is good to be back in the hobby of wood working.  Even if it is not completely in the traditional method.  I do now have occasion to break out the #5 Stanley plane and gently make curls of wood again.  A sharp chisel lays nearby waiting to trim off the extra wain.

I will be sure to post some of my creations here as I explore this new path.





No comments: