Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sawdust Chronicles Challenge 2010 Part 4 (Progress)

After doing the full size drawing, I went back and made a couple small changes to the design.  Now that I am happy with the design, it is time to pick out a little wood.  I plan to use cherry for this table.  I have a small pile of #1 common cherry in my shop that I picked up for $1.15/bf back in January. 


If you who have not delt with #1 Common and Better lumber, there will be flaws in the lumber. Splits/Knots on the ends will be counted in the total if there is clear lumber remaining that is 3" wide by 3’ long or 4" wide by 2’ long on either side of the split.


Here is a link about the virtues of #1 common:
http://americanwoodworker.com/userdocs/articles/200012/hww/main.html

Here are the 3 boards I will use for the table.  Not all of this will be used, as I may have to cut around knots, artfully use sap wood, or trim off some bark.  The good news is tomorrow, I will get a chance to mill some of this wood, and get a better idea of how it will look as a table.


Now you may be thinking that this may not be enough wood for a table.  Well, it will only be used for the frame and legs.  For the top, I am planning to use a remainder from a previous project, but I will save that for another post.

No comments: